Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dear President

January 13, 2009

George W. Bush, President of the United States
c/o Ronald L. Rogers, Pardon Attorney
Department of Justice
1425 New York Avenue, N.W.
Suite 11000 Washington, D.C. 20530

RE: James M. Dwyer Case # 2008-12-0594

Dear President Bush:

Thank you for having given up eight years of your life to help all Americans and our country. Thank you for the actions you took and the attitude you showed the international community that dissuaded terrorist to dare attack American soil again.

I am writing to ask for a very special favor. I have never, in 63 years, asked anybody for anything. During my college years from 1963 through 1967, I voluntarily joined the Army ROTC program at the height of the Vietnam War, because I felt it was ther igth thing to do for my country.

During my two years of active duty, I was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division, and ended up playing baseball for the Army for my first year, at a time when the Division was sent en masse to Vietnam. I volunteered to join them in Vietnam for my second year of service to my country. I knew in my heart this was the right thing to do.

I am writing to you to ask for a pardon for James M. Dwyer for the same reason, in my heart he has been falsely imprisoned for the last 42 months, and for the first time in my life I am asking my country for a favor, please pardon Jimmy Dwyer and allow him to pick up the pieces of a broken life that always gravitated around family. Family is the most important thing in his life and they need him back home.

Jim may be the kindest, most giving man I have ever known. He was my business mentor, and his most important business were determined after consultation with the Lord through prayer. He taught me in my professional life, not to let the rigors of the “deal”, ever take precedence over family and my faith.

President Bush, I implore you to grant Mr. Dwyer the freedom that I fought for in the A Shau Valley, at Hamburger Hill, and throughout my twelve month tour of duty in the Republic of Vietnam.

Respectfully and thankfully,
Signature
Paul J. Callahan

No comments: