Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dear Mr. President

George W. Bush, President
United States of America
c/o Ronald L. Rogers, Pardon Attorney
Department of Justice
1425 New York Ave. N.W.
Suite 11000
Washington D.C. 20530

Re: James M. Dwyer Case No. 2008-12-0594

Dear Mr. President:

I write in support of the application of James M. Dwyer for commutation of his sentence or a pardon. In considering pardon applications, I hope you will have in mind the Hippocratic Oath sworn by physicians – “First, do no harm.”: I believe you will never be sorry if you decide to return Jim Dwyer to society. He served the county of Cape May in New Jersey, in particular, Ocean City well. He was active in community and religious circles. His generosity and social involvement received widespread publicity and were cited as mitigating considerations at his trial. I believe that if you return Jim to society – and to his family and friends – he will give back to the community. He has much to offer.

The principle reason you should pardon Jim Dwyer is compassion. This is the season and the time. I do not know a more devout Christian than Jim. I believe God will forgive Jim. I hope you will, too. But my reason for writing is to emphasize my opinion that your pardon for Jim will do no harm. I might even make you proud.

Sincerely,
Signature
Lewis S. Black, Jr

No comments: